Files and folders created with invalid ACL

Thorsten Kampe thorsten@thorstenkampe.de
Sun Jun 21 18:42:55 GMT 2020

* Eliot Moss (Sun, 21 Jun 2020 14:10:21 -0400)

> On 6/21/2020 1:56 PM, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm experiencing the issue described here[1]: files and folders
> > created with Cygwin utilities like touch and mkdir have an
> > incorrect ACL ("The access control list (ACL) structure is
> > invalid (os error 1336)").
> >
> > icacls test.txt /verify
> > test.txt: Ace entries not in canonical order.
> >
> > Interestingly the issue does not occur with files created in
> > the user's Cygwin home directory but - for instance - in the
> > Documents folder of the user's Windows profile.
> >
> > This is a fresh Cygwin installation on a test system. Has
> > anyone found a solution?
> >
> > [1] http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Issues-with-ACL-
> > settings-after-updating-to-the-latest-cygwin-dll-td124123.html
>
> This is normal, and has to do with how Cygwin arranges to model,
> within the Windows ACL permissions system, some features of the
> Posix permissions system. Don't "fix" the ACLs - that can make
> the Posix functionality break.  While the entries are not in
> canonical order, they work fine :-) ...

"The access control list (ACL) structure is invalid (os error
1336". That's an error and not a cosmetic issue. Other tools
from the Unix world do not work fine with files that have an
invalid ACL: <https://github.com/Peltoche/lsd/issues/334
#issuecomment-647119819>

Thorsten