Files and folders created with invalid ACL

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sun Jun 21 18:10:21 GMT 2020

On 6/21/2020 1:56 PM, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm experiencing the issue described here[1]: files and folders
> created with Cygwin utilities like touch and mkdir have an
> incorrect ACL ("The access control list (ACL) structure is
> invalid (os error 1336)").
>
> icacls test.txt /verify
> test.txt: Ace entries not in canonical order.
>
> Interestingly the issue does not occur with files created in
> the user's Cygwin home directory but - for instance - in the
> Documents folder of the user's Windows profile.
>
> This is a fresh Cygwin installation on a test system. Has
> anyone found a solution?
>
> [1] http://cygwin.1069669.n5.nabble.com/Issues-with-ACL-
> settings-after-updating-to-the-latest-cygwin-dll-td124123.html

This is normal, and has to do with how Cygwin arranges to model,
within the Windows ACL permissions system, some features of the
Posix permissions system. Don't "fix" the ACLs - that can make
the Posix functionality break.  While the entries are not in
canonical order, they work fine :-) ...

If you dig deeper into the Cygwin documentation on permissions
handling you can read all the gory details ...

Regards - Eliot Moss