[EXTERNAL] Re: Country Of Origin Verification - 8944

Thu Jun 18 00:14:27 GMT 2020

On 2020-06-17 13:21, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> On 17.06.2020 17:37, Watson, Christian M. (GRC-V000)[Peerless Technologies
> Corp.] via Cygwin wrote:
>> We appreciate the reply. We are looking to use this software on a NASA
>> facility and that is why we sent you the questions we did to comply with our
>> security restrictions. If you could tell us where this software originated
>> from that would be all we need to move forward. We have followed the link you
>> suggested and could still not find this information.

> To make easy for you, as I did for Octave some time ago:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin
> Cygwin was originally developed by Cygnus Solutions, which was later acquired by
> Red Hat (now part of IBM).
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygnus_Solutions
> So the original authors were located in USA.
> Also the main server is currently located in USA.

Cygwin DLL current maintainers and contributors:
https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=winsup/CONTRIBUTORS;hb=HEAD

Cygwin packages current maintainers:
https://cygwin.com/cygwin-pkg-maint

To get all Cygwin package maintainers, you would have to download the package
archives from https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-announce/1997-May.txt.gz
thru to the current archive
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2020-June.txt.gz, unzip them all,
and get the senders of each announcement.

For a package's country of origin, you would have to check with whom, and from
where the source code for the package originated.

Newlib (Cygwin libc) current maintainers:
https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=newlib/MAINTAINERS;hb=HEAD

To get all Cygwin and Newlib contributors, you would have to clone the
repository at top, list the log, and get the authors of each change.

You should also be aware that Cygwin and Newlib have incorporated source code
from various BSD systems: FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]