"kubectl exec" in Cygwin gets "Upgrade request required", but not in cmd shell

David Karr davidmichaelkarr@gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 16:10:47 GMT 2020

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:32 PM David Karr wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:09 PM Brian Inglis <
> Brian.Inglis@systematicsw.ab.ca> wrote:
>
>> On 2020-06-14 12:16, David Karr via Cygwin wrote:

>> kubectl
>> upgrade,
>> shows
>> updating
>> diagnostics.

>> https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/tools/install-kubectl/#install-kubectl-on-windows

>> zlib/1.2.11

>> calling
>> questions
>> is
>> curl
>> >>>

>> .../api/v1/namespaces/.../pods/.../exec?command=%2Fbin%2Fls&container=...&stderr=true&stdin=true&stdout=true'
>> possible it

>> astray,
>> talk
>> the
>> and a

>> output

>> do
>> >>

>> > Acknowledged. The "Upgrade request required" is coming from the
>> kubernetes
>> > server.  At this point, I think I'm going to need to understand exactly
>> > what that message means (other threads talking about this didn't make
>> that
>> > clear). Someone in that community did respond to my question, not with
>> an
>> > answer, but with a query for more information. I'll see what I can find
>> out.
>>
>> A short Google search turned up that the message is apparently an HTTP
>> 400 Bad
>> Request response with Upgrade request message, meaning you need to use the
>> websocket API to talk to a kubernetes pod:
>>

>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/49250370/kubernetes-pod-exec-api-upgrade-request-required
>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6455
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Status/101
>

> Yes, I saw that thread in my research on this, but note that that
> conclusion about using WebSocket is only from the first sentence of the
> answer, whereas by the end of the answer, including the comment, it's clear
> that this should be mitigated by just using "kubectl exec", which is what
> I'm doing. In any case, it appears that even kubectl uses curl under the
> covers. I would assume that kubectl attempts to mitigate the issues around
> not using WebSocket for this, but it seems like it's not working at least
> in my case.
>
> Another thought I had is whether I can coerce kubectl to use the Windows
> curl by setting the PATH just before calling kubectl.  This didn't help. Is
> there possibly something happening under the covers that would still make
> this execute the Cygwin curl?

I have managed to resolve this.  The challenge here is finding the correct
version of kubectl to use for the corresponding cluster version.  The rule
is that you have to use a version of kubectl within one minor version of
the cluster version.  We're using version 1.13.5 in the cluster.  I
originally saw this problem with version 1.17, then moved to 1.18, then to
1.13.5.  Finally, version 1.14.0 resolves the problem. Version 1.13.5
should have worked.  I don't know why it didn't.  I also have no idea why
it would work in a non-cygwin shell.