symbolic links to /cygdrive/X/xxx with capital letter X

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Sat Jun 13 20:47:08 GMT 2020

Greetings, Wayne Davison!

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 4:05 AM Andrey Repin wrote:
>> And you've got exactly what you asked for.

> I think you missed the important part of the email. Distilled down,
> this is wrong:

> $ ln -s /cygdrive/C/Windows foo
> $ readlink foo
> /mnt/C/Windows

The cygdrive prefix is resolved, if no other mount points match.
Since you have /mnt/C mount point, it is resolved first.

> The symlink's value changed to a path that doesn't exist on a typical
> install and is now broken. The original /cygdrive/C/Windows path works
> fine as long as you have it mounted to ignore case. Perhaps the
> rewrite (if it is even required) should change it into
> /cygdrive/c/Windows?

You can resolve it to `cygpath --proc-cygdrive`, which is more useful, if you
want a portable solution.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin