Problem with output from gawk software in recent Cygwin installation

Tue Jul 28 04:05:16 GMT 2020

On 2020-07-27 15:58, Bryan VanSchouwen wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 4:20 PM Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Here's a wondering: Could it have to do with line endings?  If Windows
>>> CRLF is getting in there, then the variables might get a CR in them,
>>> which might do weird things.  This assumes those are string variables,
>>> not numeric.

>> Better yet, how about an example using manifest constants in a one line
>> sample to eliminate impact of arrays or changes in input data as in: gawk
>> 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3)}' or gawk 'BEGIN {print(1,2,3) > "xxx.txt"}'>
> No problem with awk or gawk:
> $ for ((i = 0; i < 10; ++i))
>   do
>     printf "%d %d %d %d\n" $((i+1)) $((i+2)) $((i+3)) $((i+4))
>   done > test.txt
> $ awk '{print($1, $2, $3)}' test.txt
>     1 2 3
>     2 3 4
>     3 4 5
>     4 5 6
>     5 6 7
>     6 7 8
>     7 8 9
>     8 9 10
>     9 10 11
>     10 11 12
> So the issue appears to be with your command line, script, or input data
> file: please show the command line used to execute the script, attach the
> complete awk script, and input data file for diagnosis, or selections of the
> latter piped through or output using cat -A to show control characters.
> Here they are (attached). The script was executed with the following
> command:> gawk -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
Input files have <CR><LF> \r\n <ctrl-M><ctrl-J> line terminators and those are
carried thru at the ends of the string fields:

$ gawk -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
$ file *cPuMP*.dat
2NH2-cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:            ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:                 ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat: ASCII text, with CR, LF line
terminators
$ cat -A Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat | head
1571697^M 1716833^M 224$
2672863^M 2894992^M 225$
2184902^M 9710015^M 226$
4393362^M 4095908^M 227$
3828609^M 4218978^M 229$
6285045^M 4008320^M 233$
3936959^M 4104667^M 234$
1698322^M 1942553^M 237$
4144791^M 4346435^M 238$
2546328^M 2804338^M 239$

You could change your input line terminators to "\r\n" e.g. option -vRS="\r\n",
insert '{ sub( /\r$/, ""); before each 'split(x, s, " ")', convert your input
fields from strings to numbers by adding zero i.e. cai[i] += 0; rpi[i] += 0; or
use belts, braces, and suspenders with all three, e.g.

$ gawk -vRS="\r\n" -f peak_intensity_correln_plot_compile.awk
$ file *cPuMP*.dat
2NH2-cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:            ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
cPuMP_nh_-_pk_Fit_Height_data.dat:                 ASCII text, with CRLF line
terminators
Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat: ASCII text
$ cat -A Fit_Height_correln_plot_-_cPuMP_vs_2NH2-cPuMP.dat | head
1571697 1716833 224$
2672863 2894992 225$
2184902 9710015 226$
4393362 4095908 227$
3828609 4218978 229$
6285045 4008320 233$
3936959 4104667 234$
1698322 1942553 237$
4144791 4346435 238$
2546328 2804338 239$

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]