missing Python 3.7 for python3 package version

Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan sharuzzaman@gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:39:08 GMT 2020

Hi Marco,

Thank you for the information.

It's my habit to use the 2nd last stable release to have a more stable
environment.

Also, I personally believe not all libraries out there support Python 3.8
yet, but a majority of them does support Python 3.7.

As there is currently no option to set Python 3.7 as default for python3,
then I will hard code my script with #!/bin/env python3.7

Really hope the option is there.

Thank you.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 2:03 PM Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On 27.07.2020 06:47, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to make my default Python 3 to Python 3.7, but when I open the
> > version chooser, only Python 3.6 and 3.8 available.
> >
> > Can I get Python 3.7 in this version chooser?
>
> probably not, as by default the last one will be in any way proposed
> the next time you will update python.
> I still need to figure how to effectively manage the
> 3 python3.x in parallel
>

> > Screenshot attached.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> all the content of that package is link to the 3.6 or 3.8 binary
>
> $ ls -l $(cygcheck -l python3)
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Marco Kein  8 Jun 20 06:27 /usr/bin/pydoc3 -> pydoc3.8
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 Marco Kein 13 Jun 20 06:27 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.8.exe
> -rw-rw-r-- 1 Marco Kein 46 Jun 15 21:21 /usr/share/man/man1/python3.1.gz
>
> if you install python37 package and than modify the link
> by yourself to point to pydoc3.7 and python3.7m.exe
> than python3 will execute python3.7
>

> Question: any reason to not use python 3.8 ?
>
> Regards
> Marco
>

> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html