graph (plotutils) seg-faulting

briand@pounceofcats.com briand@pounceofcats.com
Sun Jul 19 18:23:21 GMT 2020

On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 19:46:31 +0200
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 19.07.2020 17:55, briand@pounceofcats.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 19 Jul 2020 08:04:48 +0200
> > Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> >> Hi Brian,
> >> graph is working for me.
> >>
> >> Please provide the cygcheck.out, as attachment, for your system,
> >>    as mentioned in
> >>
> >> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> >>

> >> So first, is a simple test working ?
> >>
> >> $ echo 0 0 1 1 2 0 | spline | graph > test.meta
> >> $ plot -T X test.meta
> >>
> >> if yes, how I can replicate your segfault ?
> >>
> >> If the strace is not too large, can you attach to your reply ?
> >> If it is too long send to me directly by private mail.
> >>

> > oh good grief.  i just tried this on my home win 10 box, and works perfectly.
> >
> > unfortunately, my work box, which has a history of weird problems with cygwin, is the one having the problem.  there's too much work-related stuff in the cygcheck output for me to pass it on.
> >
> > However the strace is ok, so i have attached it.
> >
> > Just to be clear,
> >
> >    graph --help
> >
> > segfaults, so the problem is at a _really_ low level.
> >
> > I'll try setting up a "new" directory install and see if i can reproduce it.
> >

> > --
>
> it seems a problem with loading cygiconv-2.dll
>
> --- Process 3080 loaded C:\cygwin64\bin\cygiconv-2.dll at 0000000001130000
> --- Process 3080 unloaded DLL at 0000000001130000
> --- Process 3080 loaded C:\cygwin64\bin\cygiconv-2.dll at 0000000001130000
> --- Process 3080, exception c0000005 at 00000000014f5075
>
> but the address fault seems in cygwin1.dll
>
> --- Process 3080 loaded C:\cygwin64\bin\cygwin1.dll at 00000000014f0000
>
> what version is installed ?
>
> Can you try to reinstall it ?

I wasn't sure which package you were talking about.  i reinstalled both cygwin and base-cygwin.

base-cygwin is 3.8-1
cygwin is 3.1.6-1

no difference.

> $ cygcheck -f /usr/bin/cygiconv-2.dll
> libiconv2-1.14-3

yes, libiconv2-1.14-3, is what i see also

i really, really need to re-install cygwin from scratch on this machine.  it seems that every problem i see cannot be replicated.

While trying to debug my "graphics characters don't appear correctly" issue, i did try to set-up a new install directory and use that, but maybe that's not good enough.

Can I just back up my home directory, kill the entire cygwin64 directory and start over ?

--
Brian