Is there a one-liner to start a xterm window (and close XWin at the end of the session)?

Fergus Daly fergusd84@outlook.com
Fri Jul 17 14:46:45 GMT 2020

On 17/07/2020 13:48, Fergus Daly via Cygwin wrote:
>> At the moment I initiate a xterm session with a 4-line cmd script at the Cygwin root directory as follows:
>> @bin\run bin\XWin -clipboard -nolock -multiwindow 2> nul
>> @timeout 4 > nul 2> nul
>> @bin\xterm -display :0.0 2> nul
>> @bin\kill -KILL -- -1
>> Not wishing to mend what isn't broken, can anybody recommend a slicker opener (and closer)?
>> (All the lines, and all their components, seem to be essential.
>> Line 1 is a necessary precursor. Line 2 induces an apparently essential pause.
>> Line 3 opens the xterm session, which can then be progressed to its conclusion.
>> At which: resumption of the cmd script at line 4 kills the now redundant XWin session.
>> Thus guaranteeing a neat finish with no straggling processes.)
>> Thank you for any easement! A one-liner would be perfect.

Jon Turney replied:

> "xinit /usr/bin/xterm -- -nolock -multiwindow"
> (Although you might want to use startx instead, as perhaps that will
> behave better if an X server is already running for display :0)

Thank you! This works beautifully at the bash prompt without all the hassle
about on-ing and off-ing XWin so it is already a great easement.

So I tried rewriting as a one-line cmd script* at the Cygwin root directory:
@bin\xinit.exe bin\xterm -- -nolock -multiwindow
(and then variations beginning with start / run) and got an error message ending in:
bin/xinit: giving up
bin/xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
bin/xinit: server error

Is there some way I can incorporate your one line  into a Windows command single line
that starts the xterm process, rather than the 4-line Windows script at the top of this post?