How to fix mv under SMB/CIFS?

René Berber rene.berber@gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 22:13:00 GMT 2020

Hi,

Main question is how to make mv behave intelligently when used in SMB
filesystem?

Its probably obvious but "intelligently" in this context means do simple
move between the same file system (SMB to same SMB), and only  use
copy-delete under different file systems (usually different computers).

Long story... I changed computers, re-installed Cygwin, and now mv is
always copying when I use mv.  On the old computer it didn't do that.
Of course I don't remember if I did something to make it that way on the
old computer (long time user of Cygwin, and Unix).

Thanks for any pointers, even if it is RTFM, which I have done.
--
R.Berber