headache on build repeatibility: octave vs BLODA ?

Thu Jan 30 21:05:00 GMT 2020

On 2020-01-29 06:46, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Hi Marco,
>
> On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 13:19:11 +0100
> Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> As Octave uses gnulib, it is possible that the changes in MS are causing
>> a different subset of gnulib to be used than before, may be exposing
>> a latent bug or race.
>>
>> Unfortunately my old build tree was polluted by mistake, so I can
>> not directly compare a good build tree versus a failing one.
>
> I found suspicious difference between the working build and the
> not-working build.
>
> The not-working build has fflush.o, fseek.o and fseeko.o in
> build/libgnu/.libs
> directory, while the working build does not.
>
> Also, cygoctave-7.dll of not-working build exports rpl_fflush,
> rpl_fseek and rpl_fseeko, while that of the working build does
> not.
>
> As a test, I used following patch to forcibly remove the code
> setting REPLACE_FSEEKO to 1 in configure script, and rebuilt
> octave. This works without segmentation fault.

For these to be considered missing or deficient such that they should be
provided or replaced gnulib must consider Cygwin lacking support for ANSI C
fflush https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/MODULES.html#ansic_enh_stdio
and POSIX 2008 fseek and fseeko supporting pipes and 4GB in 32 bit mode
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/MODULES.html#posix_sup
perhaps as a result of incorrect conclusions about Cygwin in autoreconf?