cygrunsrv does not start cygsshd at boot

Tue Jan 28 22:21:00 GMT 2020

On 2020-01-28 14:26, Andrey Repin wrote:
>> $ cygrunsrv -VQ cygsshd
>> Service             : cygsshd
>> Display name        : CYGWIN sshd
>> Current State       : Running
>> Controls Accepted   : Stop, Preshutdown
>> Command             : /usr/sbin/sshd -D
>> stdin path          : /dev/null
>> stdout path         : /var/log/cygsshd.log
>> stderr path         : /var/log/cygsshd.log
>> Process Type        : Own Process
>> Startup             : Manual
>> Dependencies        : dnscache, cygserver, syslog-ng
>
> I strongly suggest adding "tcpip" here.

No - causes problems as tcpip is a kernel driver which is early and low level
BOOT_START - other BOOT_START and SYSTEM_START kernel drivers and services
depend on tcpip, and later AUTO_START services like dhcp and dnscache depend on
those - once those are available, we have a gateway, resolver, and the other
network services which we need available to use the network, which is why we
need to start Cygwin network services as Delayed auto start
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/cygsshd Start=2
DelayedAutostart=1) and Preshutdown (cygrunsrv -O, --preshutdown
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/cygsshd/Parameters
Preshutdown=1).