another question about cygwin bash trying to make connections

LMH lmh_users-groups@molconn.com
Tue Jan 7 23:03:00 GMT 2020

Marco Atzeri wrote:
> Am 07.01.2020 um 21:58 schrieb LMH:
>> Hello,
>>

>> This is the version of bash,
>>
>> GNU bash, version 4.3.42(4)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>>
>> it would be very helpful as a first step if I could find a verified digital signature
>> for this version of bash. The index here,
>>
>> https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/
>>
>> gives an archive of bash with a signature for each tar.gz but not the signature for
>> each version of the extracted binary.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> that is not the last version of bash, so I guess your system is not updated anyway
>

> $ bash --version
> GNU bash, version 4.4.12(3)-release (i686-pc-cygwin)
>
> --

No, this is an older system that I keep around to run and test XP software on. It has
the latest version of cygwin that still supports XP (2.874). This system isn't on the
internet very often.

It is still of interest to me to understand how the components of cywgin work and
what controls such things as how and why IPC may be triggered. This is especially
true when I see behavior that doesn't make sense to me. I don't see any reason why
bash should need to communicate with svchost every time it is run, especially where
blocking that communication has no discernible effect.

If this is evidence of a system problem somewhere, I of course would like to know
about that as well.

LMH