Cygwin-X shortcut no longer works after recent updates

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sat Feb 29 14:15:00 GMT 2020

On 28/02/2020 07:21, Brian Inglis wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> After the recent upgrades to cygwin 3.1.4, perl, etc. I have found that the
> Cygwin-X Startup, Start Menu, and Task Bar shortcuts no longer work, although I
> can start Cygwin-X by running startxwin from a mintty window.
>
>  From the shortcut, the shell is invoked to run startxwin normally, two copies of
> xinit fork, and Xwin runs and displays the start tray Xserver icon, but my
> mintty terminal and the xwin-xdg-menu clients don't start.

Two copies of xinit suggests to me that it is getting stuck somewhere in
the cygwin fork/exec of /etc/X11/xinit/startxwinrc (which in turn starts
~/.startxwinrc if it exists) to start clients.