OpenSSH: SSHD daemon (as SYSTEM) is partially broken

Bill Stewart bstewart@iname.com
Thu Feb 27 19:34:00 GMT 2020

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 11:09 AM n0nc3 <pkoshar@compunetix.com> wrote:

It appears Cygwin SSHD's functionality is partially broke in the later
> versions, where SSHD runs as SYSTEM (no longer cyg_server).
>
> On reboot, any attempt to SSH into the server *before* any previous logon
> attempt (RDP/locally/etc) is quickly denied:
>
>    debug1: Offering public key: /home/<user>/.ssh/id_rsa
>    debug3: send_pubkey_test
>    debug2: we sent a publickey packet, wait for reply
>    Connection closed by <server_addr>
>
> Once an RDP/local login is attempted, regardless of success/failure,
> subsequent ssh attempts will progress to the password prompt which
> eventually gets us in.

This is a known issue on OS versions older than 8.1.

See thread starting with this message:

My proposed workaround is this:

Bill