[ANN] Cygwin-OpenSSH 8.2.2.2

Henry S. Thompson ht@inf.ed.ac.uk
Thu Feb 27 18:22:00 GMT 2020

Bill Stewart writes:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 11:47 PM ASSI wrote:
>
> You will perhaps want to read the Cygwin licensing terms
>> plus the licensing terms of each of the packages you distribute.
>>

> The relevant licenses are provided as links in the installer and referenced
> in the User's Guide.

What I believe everyone is being too polite to say explicitly is that
you have not conformed to Cygwin's license terms [1] yourself:

   What are the licensing terms?

   Most of the tools are covered by the GNU GPL, some are public domain,
   and others have a X11 style license. To cover the GNU GPL
   requirements, the basic rule is if you give out any binaries, you
   must also make the source available. For the full details, be sure to
   read the text of the GNU General Public License (GPL).

   The Cygwin™ API library found in the winsup subdirectory of the
   source code is covered by the GNU Lesser General Public License
   (LGPL) version 3 or later. For details of the requirements of LGPLv3,
   please read the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL).

I have tried pretty hard to find the Cygwin and OpenSSH sources in your
distro and cannot find them...

It seems likely that you're trying to do a good thing here, although in
general pointing people to the Cygwin site with instructions allows a
much better user experience than giving them a package which depends on
a 3rd party (you) for updates.  But you should play by the rules,
please.

ht

[1] https://cygwin.com/licensing.html
                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.