grep works too long and consumes more than 2 GB

Sergey A. Solodky ssolodky@evelopers.com
Tue Feb 18 17:56:00 GMT 2020

Hi!

I encountered a grep issue. For now, I use the older version of Cygwin
(32-bit, W2k3) in my test environment (for nightly tests). I'm going to
migrate to a  modern platform, Windows Sever 2016 or 2019. In the
archive attached is a sample to reproduce the issue. Here is a simple
script trying counting strings in data file (56 strings) according to a
pattern (a pretty long one, auto-generated by test) in the corresponding
file. Both data file and pattern file are from the real test. This
counting takes about 25 seconds on the older 32-bit system and more than
2 and half hours on the newer one. See result_*.log files. In the last
case grep fully uses 1 core of Core-i7 and consumes 2+ GB of memory. See
screenshot.

The pattern contains two serial 'http_host' sub-patterns. Maybe they
lead to the issue because another similar tests have no such a problem
and they do not contain such 'pairs'.

--
Best wishes,
Sergey.