Question on pseudo console and legacy console

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Feb 11 07:22:00 GMT 2020

Am 09.02.2020 um 04:20 schrieb Koichi Murase:
> Specifically I thought about completely disabling the pseudo console
> support with terminal emulators, and turning on it only for Cygwin
> consoles.  But this is based on my assumption that the pseudo console
> mode is aimed to provide enhanced Cygwin consoles and does not affect
> the functional differences in terminal emulators.
Actually it's just the other way round. The pseudo console serves the
adaptation of client-side (i.e. native Windows programs) console usage
to server-side (i.e. pty-accessed terminals) interaction, transforming
character sets, raw input, signal handling. Most of this is not needed
inside the Windows console / "Cygwin console".