Xwin has stopped working

Andrey Voropaev voropaev.andrey@gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 16:50:09 GMT 2020

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 3:03 PM Ken Brown via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> On 12/13/2020 3:10 AM, Andrey Voropaev via Cygwin wrote:
> >>
> >> Your cygcheck output contains the following:
> >>
> >> Potential app conflicts:
> >>
> >> ZoneAlarm Personal Firewall
> >> Detected: HKLM Registry Key.
> >>
> >> Can you try disabling ZoneAlarm and see if that helps?
> >
> > Not really, this is company-laptop, so I don't have Admin-password.
> > Well, I guess our company has made everything possible to render
> > laptops useless.
> >
> > Any way to work around it?
>
> Not that I know of.  But we don't even know yet that ZoneAlarm is the issue.
> Could you get your admin to temporarily disable it for testing, or perhaps to
> exclude the Cygwin directory?

Last time I've tried to clear up a problem, I was asked: why I am
using non-standard software :)

Basically, it does look like some firewall does not allow connection
to X-server, it takes about
a minute before the error is reported. If the listener was not there,
then the error would be immediately
clear. In this case the SYN is sent, dropped by firewall and the
client waits for answer and tries again.

Now, is it possible to tell X-server to use some port on localhost
only? Hopefully firewall does not care
about connections to localhost, and if it does, then I can bug admins
about useless restrictions that
prevent important communication on my host.

Best regards
Andrey