Xwin has stopped working

briand@pounceofcats.com briand@pounceofcats.com
Sat Dec 12 21:07:52 GMT 2020

On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 11:55:07 +0100
Marco Atzeri via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On 10.12.2020 14:17, Andrey Voropaev via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was using startxwin to run Xorg in multiwindow mode. Untill today it
> > worked perfectly. Now my Windows 10 got some updates and Xorg stopped
> > working. I see only following messages at the end of startup:

This is interesting.  Just recently my work laptop also went through a windows update and then came down with the X-windows stopped working problem.

I kept running it using either startx AND the xfce session from the windows Cygwin-X menu choicres, and i would get the X-windows screen and then nothing would happen, i.e. i would get no terminal or the proper background color.  I did this several times with reboots in-between.

I then went to the cygwin-X menu and ran the first thing on the menu,and it worked...

I can't remember which menu choice that is, I'll look it up and report back.

Unsure if that's a coincidence or not, but it's awfully strange that i tried the usual "startx" and even XFCE session in the windows menu several times each, between reboots and nothing worked.

But the first time I selected that first menu item from the Cygwin-X menu choices it worked.

That's not the first time this happened to me, although I'm not sure if it has always correlated with a windows upgrades but in this particular instance it definitely did.