[QUAR] cygwin install failure

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Tue Dec 1 16:26:54 GMT 2020

On 12/1/2020 5:21 AM, lahmer med ali wrote:
 > dear cygwin user's:
 > i have tried to install the latest version of cygwin on my pc (windows 7)
 > however when i execute the setup program, the installation fails because no
 > mirror site is available for this. i have tried to add a mirror site to the
 > list but the installation don(t start.
 > i would ask if any one have an idea how to resolve this problem

It should come up with a substantial list of Download site (mirrors).  Are you
saying the list is empty, or that you can't connect to any of them?  You can't
add a mirror to the list directly (that list of mirrors is centrally
maintained), but as I recall you can invoke setup with some argument to direct
it elsewhere.  But my guess is that is not what you should be doing.

If setup can't connect to any of the sutes I wonder about whether you've got
some firewall interfering.

Note also that the setup program is a tool for downloading and installing
Cygwin packages.  Cygwin is not a single "thing".  And we don't recommend
installing _all_ the packages.  Just get what you need to get started and add
things as you find more need.

Best wishes - Eliot Moss