Windows 7, cygwin > 1.4.1 symlink issue

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
Mon Aug 24 21:43:38 GMT 2020

I have one machine, a company machine which makes it hard to post
details, which is running Windows 7. We run cygwin as our development
environment for Java, but Java is installed as a Windows program. The
scripts that do the builds are bash scripts that pull down updated code
from svn, then run unit tests. All of the cygwin bits work fine, but
when Java is launched to run the unit tests, it runs into problems with
reading files that were created as symlinks in cygwin. Note that this
does *not* happen with cygwin 1.4.1, but does with higher versions (up
through 1.7.1).

Possibly related, the permissions on installed files is odd if I roll
back from > 1.4.1 to 1.4.1. The files that were updated with the later
version can't be deleted. The permissions on, for example, an Emacs
upgraded under 1.6.1 or 1.7.1 show "Unknown User" when I downgrade just
cygwin and I can't run it. I have to upgrade cygwin, uninstall Emacs,
downgrade cygwin then reinstall.

Other users in the company have had their machines upgraded/replaced
with Windows 10 and don't seem to have this issue. Eventually, mine will
be replaced as well, but in the meantime, later versions of cygwin can't
be used.

roland