Synchronization problem with posix_spawn

Thu Aug 20 12:50:11 GMT 2020

On Aug 20 07:40, Peter Dons Tychsen via Cygwin wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> > spawn alone doesn't cut it, due to the requirement to support the
> > additional file actions and spawn atributes POSIX defines.  This
> > would require a revamp of Cygwin's spawn functionality, which is
> > already quite complicated.  So this is something I'm only willing
> > to do in homeopathic doses.
>
> OK. I can see that most of the processing of the options are done
> seperately. We could to start with create a shortcut that calls
> spawn[vpe]() instead if there are no options specified? That would
> speed up most cases. Then we could add the extra cases later if needed.
>
> Would that be an acceptable patch?

No, it won't work as expected, as you can see from the discussion in
this thread.  Some internal work would be required.

> The reason i am pushing for this is that allot of developers i interact
> with get the feeling cygwin is slow.

Well, Cygwin *is* slow, given the fork/exec implementation.  We asked
Microsoft a lot if there's any chance to create a fork-alike working in
the Windows subsystem, but that ship has sailed.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer