[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: curl 7.71.1-1

Mon Aug 10 17:33:57 GMT 2020

On 2020-08-10 08:52, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 8/9/2020 5:48 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> [...]
>> Meanwhile, that info likely comes from:
>>
>> $ tail -vn15 /lib/pkgconfig/libcurl.pc
>> ==> /lib/pkgconfig/libcurl.pc <==
>> #
>> prefix=/usr
>> exec_prefix=/usr
>> libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
>> includedir=${prefix}/include
>> supported_protocols="DICT FILE FTP FTPS GOPHER HTTP HTTPS IMAP IMAPS LDAP LDAPS
>> POP3 POP3S RTSP SCP SFTP SMB SMBS SMTP SMTPS TELNET TFTP"
>> supported_features="SSL IPv6 UnixSockets libz brotli AsynchDNS IDN PSL NTLM
>> NTLM_WB TLS-SRP HTTP2 HTTPS-proxy"
>>
>> Name: libcurl
>> Version: 7.71.1
>> Libs: -L${libdir} -lcurl
>> Libs.private: -lnghttp2 -lidn2 -lssh -lpsl -lssl -lcrypto -lldap -llber
>> -lbrotlidec -lbrotlidec -lz
>> Cflags: -I${includedir}
>>
>> it looks like your git build should be using Libs for dynamic builds and adding
>> Libs.private for static builds

> If you look at configure.ac in the git sources, you'll see that it uses
> curl-config, not pkg-config.  The former reports:
>
> $ curl-config --libs
> -lcurl -lnghttp2 -lidn2 -lssh -lpsl -lssl -lcrypto -lldap -llber -lbrotlidec
> -lbrotlidec -lz
>
> Yaakov's build of earlier versions of curl used a patch 7.33.0-libdeps.patch to
> prevent the unnecessary libs from being listed.  He even had a comment at the
> beginning of the patch, explaining the reason for it: "These are needed only for
> static linking, but we build with --disable-static".

I try to avoid looking at autotools plumbing if I can possibly avoid it! ;^>
Someone cleaned up the approach used, as the patch did not apply and was dropped.
If you look at my later post, cygport git build and tests worked for me with no
problems other than at first missing some package build dependencies and in the
end I was still missing a couple of perl module dependencies I cannot decode.

I am waiting to hear back from the git maintainer when he has time.

[Data in IEC units and prefixes, physical quantities in SI.]