gfortran 9.3 write format error

Charles Russell worsafe@bellsouth.net
Sat Apr 18 18:13:30 GMT 2020

On 4/18/2020 11:23 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
  what compiler version are you using on Debian

$ gfortran --version
GNU Fortran (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0

When support ended for g77 I feared for my collection of old fortran
code, but it all worked fine under gfortran after a few trivial changes
that I made years ago. (BLOCK DATA had to be rewritten, but I had used
that only once.) The gfortran developers must intend to keep viable all
that netlib code that has been widely used and thoroughly debugged. No
problems with the above gfortran version, which is newer than the most
recent one for Cygwin. So I doubt that the error message comes from
intentional compiler changes.

Like you, I can't understand why a syntax error should appear at run
time.  gfortran is good at finding syntax errors at compile time.

I'm still using fortran 77 because it meets my needs, I know where the
bugs hide, and that is the language of most netlib code and of all my
old tools. gfortran handles it well.