cygwin gfortran segfaulting on valid write statements

Charles Russell worsafe@bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 17 22:29:44 GMT 2020

On 4/17/2020 2:39 PM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:

> in what type of statement have you the segfault ?

I recently tried building and running some old fortran code using what I
think is the current version of cygwin gfortran (--version reports
9.3.0) and was surprised to get a run-time error message saying that a
format statement was missing a left parenthesis. There was no format
error in that line (the same code ran previously on cygwin, and runs now
on debian stable). Furthermore I would not expect to see a syntax error
message at run time. I got around the problem by switching from cygwin
to a debian virtual machine, but then went back for another look at
cygwin, using different (old, tested) code. Again I hit a segfault, this
time with no explicit message, but stepping through gdb tracked the
error to a write statement. Copying the offending write statement into a
simple example failed to reproduce the error.