Rsync frequently hangs

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Fri Apr 17 10:07:28 GMT 2020

Greetings, Brent Epp!

> I have a large collection of custom tooling that depends on rsync.  It
> used to work very well, but recently, rsync has become highly unstable.
> It frequently (dozens of times a day) hangs.  These are rsync executions
> where the source and target are both on the same local drive.

> Eventually once it times out, it reports:

>      rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
> [sender]
>      rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> io.c(226) [sender=3.1.2]

> No changes have recently been made to the tooling.  I just upgraded
> cygwin as well, the problem persists.

> I'm going to do a clean install of cygwin, but if that doesn't solve
> things, what else can I do?

Check for BLODA. Although I'm still suspicious.
All I've seen so far is

rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at receiver.c(582) [receiver=3.1.0]
rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at io.c(1642) [generator=3.1.0]

this is a link to production VPS. It consistently hangs midway the transfer.
Like it has a clairvoyance, no matter if the upload is 1 file of 100 files,
halfway through it drops, and I have to restart the upload, then it goes to
complete success.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin