Missing new.h and broken comdef.h in cygwin32-w32api-headers (and the mingw header packages too)

Csaba Ráduly rcsaba@gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:55:17 GMT 2020

On 07/04/2020 15:29, Hans de Ruiter via Cygwin wrote:

Hi Hans,

> I've been trying to compile something that uses comutil.h, which in turn
> includes comip.h and comdef.h (amongst others).
>
> First, I get a missing header error:
> /usr/include/w32api/comip.h:21:10: fatal error: new.h: No such file or directory
>
> So, I copy new.h from the mingw headers (I'm using the cygwin compiler *not*
> mingw). Then, I get the following:

Why do you think the mingw headers would work with Cygwin's compiler?

 From an API point of view, Cygwin is a POSIX system. If your software includes
comutil.h/compip.h/comdep.h, that's a Windows application. You need a compiler
which understands the Windows API and creates native Windows applications.
Cygwin's GCC isn't such a compiler.

You need either a Mingw compiler, or Cygwin's cross compiler
(mingw64-i686-gcc-g++-9.2.0-2 )

Csaba
--
You can get very substantial performance improvements
by not doing the right thing. - Scott Meyers, An Effective C++11/14 Sampler