Using ARM GNU GCC with Cygwin

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Apr 4 21:56:37 GMT 2020

On 4/4/2020 5:40 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Kaz Kylheku!
>
>> On 2020-04-04 02:00, Ben wrote:
>>> Is there something else I'm missing?
>
>> That by cross-compiling for your targets on Cygwin instead of a real
>> POSIX OS, you will something like double your compile times, if not
>> more.
>
> Proof, please.

I would agree with the statement, at least subjectively.  There are various
things that I build on Linux, even in Linux virtual machines running on the
same Windows laptop, and Cygwin builds take perceptibly longer.  Some of
this is down to the cost of fork() no doubt -- configure, and perhaps gcc
itself, tend to spin off lots of short jobs, which tends to expose the
fork overhead.  Not sure if anything else is slower.  Obviously the main
part of the computation in the compiler is the same.

Regards - Eliot Moss