How to make a package request

Pander pander@users.sourceforge.net
Sat Apr 4 11:39:37 GMT 2020

On 4/4/20 3:55 AM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> Am 03.04.2020 um 22:08 schrieb Pander via Cygwin:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> How can I make a package request for Nuspell?
>>
>> Nuspell is a spell checking library and command-line tool written in
>> modern C++, see https://nuspell.github.io/ and
>> https://github.com/nuspell/nuspell/wiki/Nuspell-packaged-binaries
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Pander
>>

> Are you offering yourself as maintainer ?
> https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html

Tempting but no, I already maintain packages for several platforms. See
https://github.com/nuspell/misc-nuspell/tree/master/packaging The files
there will help packaging for cygwin.

Packaging Nuspell is similar to Hunspell, but more easy as Nuspell uses
CMake. Recently, Enchant is supporting Nuspell and now I am working on
the integration with Firefox. With the support of Mozilla, we try to be
a drop-in replacement for Hunspell and to have better performance and
maintanability.

> currently we have already aspell and hunspell
> as general purpose spell checkers

The functionality of Aspell is very inferior to that of Hunspell and
Nuspell. Hunspell is very hard to maintain and extend and sometimes has
security issues as it has been written in an older form of C++. If you
are interested, here is more on the subject:

https://archive.fosdem.org/2016/schedule/event/integrating_spell_and_grammar_checking/

https://archive.fosdem.org/2019/schedule/event/nuspell/

https://fosdem.org/2020/schedule/event/clc_nuspell_version_3_of_the_new_spell_checker/

Best,