Issue with mintty: title not updated when background process exists

Luc Henninger luc.henninger@orange.fr
Wed Apr 1 20:21:40 GMT 2020

Le 01/04/2020 à 14:24, Thomas Wolff a écrit :
> Am 01.04.2020 um 14:20 schrieb Thomas Wolff:
>> Am 01.04.2020 um 13:07 schrieb Luc Henninger:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have defined the PS1 variable as follow
>>> PS1='\[\e]0;\w\a\]\[\e[32m\]\u@\h \[\e[35m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\$ '
>>> so that the cur dir is set as title of the window.
>>>
>>> This generally work for both mintty or cmd.
>>> But after the sequence
>>>   Luc@Mulan ~
>>>   $ emacs &
>>>   [1] 371
>>>   Luc@Mulan ~
>>>   $ cd bin
>>>   Luc@Mulan ~/bin
>>>   $
>>> the title of the mintty widow remain to "~".
>>>
>>> The same sequence with cmd window change the title to "~/bin"
>>>
>>> The title is correctly updated only after I close emacs and push a
>>> return to the main window.
>>>
>>> Any explanation? Thanks
>> Noted first, this is in any case not a mintty issue as mintty updates
>> the title whenever it receives the respective escape sequence. The
>> scenario sounds weird, however. Is the background process
>> continuously sending title escape sequences? But 'emacs &' looks like
>> you're starting a GUI instance of emacs, right? So why should it?
> Try to isolate the background instance from the terminal:
> emacs > /dev/null 2>&1 &

Even if your proposal solve the issue, I have a question of what's
append in the two different cases.

I use the same sequence (1/ cd ztry 2/ launch emacs ("emacs &" or "emacs
 > /dev/null 2>&1 &" 3/ cd .. 4/ exit emacs 5/ newline 6/ ^D) with
mintty configure for logs.

The log for the first case (mintty1459.log) is strongly longer that the
second one (mintty1470.log). It look like the wall window content is
rewritten each time a line is added.

I would appreciate if someone can give me some explanation. It look like
that I have the same kind of behavior with other program (i.e. scala
repl or sbt)

Thanks

--
Luc.Henninger@orange.fr    +33 6 32 96 32 27