Issue with mintty: title not updated when background process exists

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Wed Apr 1 12:20:17 GMT 2020

Am 01.04.2020 um 13:07 schrieb Luc Henninger:
> Hello,
>
> I have defined the PS1 variable as follow
> PS1='\[\e]0;\w\a\]\[\e[32m\]\u@\h \[\e[35m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\$ '
> so that the cur dir is set as title of the window.
>
> This generally work for both mintty or cmd.
> But after the sequence
>   Luc@Mulan ~
>   $ emacs &
>   [1] 371
>   Luc@Mulan ~
>   $ cd bin
>   Luc@Mulan ~/bin
>   $
> the title of the mintty widow remain to "~".
>
> The same sequence with cmd window change the title to "~/bin"
>
> The title is correctly updated only after I close emacs and push a
> return to the main window.
>
> Any explanation? Thanks
Noted first, this is in any case not a mintty issue as mintty updates
the title whenever it receives the respective escape sequence. The
scenario sounds weird, however. Is the background process continuously
sending title escape sequences? But 'emacs &' looks like you're starting
a GUI instance of emacs, right? So why should it?
Thomas