XWin can't hold OpenGL picture, has WS_DISABLED and WS_EX_TRANSPARENT styles?

Mick Pearson mick.pearson@wildblue.net
Sat Nov 9 09:21:00 GMT 2019

XWin has never had a permanent picture with OpenGL. Any movement "damages" all windows. I know I've looked at it before, but I checked its window/class styles with MS's Spy++ tool today. The normal styles that govern clipping and permanence look fine, but it has some weird styles that normally for disabled and transparent windows that I wonder are the cause for its abnormal behavior in this regard. No OpenGL apps that just draw only OpenGL on a window have XWin's problem.

To be brief, it has these unnatural window-styles in this mail's subject line. Other than that, I think it may use Direct3D instead of OpenGL, but normally drawing OpenGL or Direct3D onto plain windows doesn't clobber other windows. I mean, you have to work hard to make it do something like that.

A second, unrelated, oddity is the window decorations are sometimes classic style, and sometimes current style. It's very odd. It's random in the same session. The windows seem to undergo a transition from classic to current, but get stuck in classic sometimes. Maybe they are using the old "animated" show functions that didn't survive the version of Windows that introduced them.

Niggling things like this could be fixed. But I don't know how many people use Cygwin. I've used it a lot over the years myself, to do development work. XWin is the most stable X server. Others don't really get close. But it's kind of too comfortable with its crumminess too. Not that I'm going to shove my work aside to try to remedy it myself.

--
As with mail, anyone who wishes may send email from your email address. In the case you receive obscene or unusual email from an address with which you are familiar. It could be someone is impersonating that email address. Always return a copy of the email to the sender for review and response.