sshd error "seteuid: No such device or address"

David Dombrowsky 6thstreetradio@gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 00:18:00 GMT 2019

>> Was that the correct solution?  Is that expected?  This windows box is
>> on a domain, so that might have something to do with it.
>
> Just switch the account sshd is running under from "cyg_server" to
> SYSTEM (or "LocalSystem") and you should be able to logon without the
> passwd -R method again.
>
> This is a side effect of changing how Cygwin switches the user
> context by default.  See
>
> https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd1

If I'm reading this correctly, using the SYSTEM account will deny access
to user-level shares.  Using the cyg_server account (or another service
account) will allow access, but requires a password stored in the
registry.

For me, this is acceptable risk since this is a single user machine and
the administrators of the domain already know my domain password :)

--
David Dombrowsky, Software Engineer
davek@6thstreetradio.org | 518-374-3204