Fatal errors when compiling x264 from source while Avisynth is enabled

Tue Mar 5 03:16:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-03-04 19:05, Hashim Aziz wrote:
> I'm trying to follow the FFmpeg wiki's guide here to build FFmpeg from source with the most superior codecs it can make use of, like libfdk-aac and libopus:
> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu
> I've sorted many of the dependencies to get it to work on Cygwin, and
> thankfully I didn't need to build most of the packages in that guide from
> source because they were included in the Cygwin repository, but there are 2
> or 3 that are not, including x264 and x265.
> So I'm now trying to build x624 from source with the following command:
> cd /ffmpeg_sources && git -C x264 pull 2> /dev/null || git clone --depth 1
> https://git.videolan.org/git/x264 && cd x264 && PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH"
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/ffmpeg_build/lib/pkgconfig" ./configure
> --prefix="/ffmpeg_build" --bindir="/usr/local/bin" --enable-static
> --enable-pic && PATH="usr/local/bin:$PATH" make -j4 && make install
> But at the configure stage of this command, I get a few errors and lots of
> warnings, but the final  error is this one:
> [Makefile:272: input/avs.o] Error 1
> I believe this is a Cygwin error based on the fact that the error immediately
> before the one above is the HMODULE error here:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45181102/ffmpeg-on-cygwin-failed-to-compile-libx264-error-unknown-type-name-hmodule
> And in that question the OP and another answer are trying to follow the very
> same guide while using Cygwin on the same 64-bit Windows 7.
> What's the problem here and how can I solve it? The errors go away and the
> compilation works when I include --disable-avs, but I don't want the version
> of FFmpeg that I build to come without AVS/Avisynth support.

Can I suggest you install cygport, and look at using it, to more easily build
Cygwin packages, if there is any kind of common infrastructure used, even just
configure && make, autotools, and many other builders, rather than DIY.

Once you understand the cygport approach, it helps eliminate a lot of the
mismatches doing builds between Cygwin and other Unix platforms, and makes
overriding parts of the process and applying or creating patches easier.

You can often just apt-get source /package/, get the source .tar.gz out using ar
and tar, create a .cygport script, and build. For Debian, GNU, and other popular
distro mirrors, cygport can get the source packages directly from their mirrors.