Fatal errors when compiling x264 from source while Avisynth is enabled

Hashim Aziz hashaziz@hotmail.com
Tue Mar 5 02:05:00 GMT 2019

I'm trying to follow the FFmpeg wiki's guide here to build FFmpeg from source with the most superior codecs it can make use of, like libfdk-aac and libopus:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/CompilationGuide/Ubuntu

I've sorted many of the dependencies to get it to work on Cygwin, and thankfully I didn't need to build most of the packages in that guide from source because they were included in the Cygwin repository, but there are 2 or 3 that are not, including x264 and x265.

So I'm now trying to build x624 from source with the following command:

cd /ffmpeg_sources && git -C x264 pull 2> /dev/null || git clone --depth 1 https://git.videolan.org/git/x264 && cd x264 && PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH" PKG_CONFIG_PATH="/ffmpeg_build/lib/pkgconfig" ./configure --prefix="/ffmpeg_build" --bindir="/usr/local/bin" --enable-static --enable-pic && PATH="usr/local/bin:$PATH" make -j4 && make install

But at the configure stage of this command, I get a few errors and lots of warnings, but the final  error is this one:

[Makefile:272: input/avs.o] Error 1

I believe this is a Cygwin error based on the fact that the error immediately before the one above is the HMODULE error here:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45181102/ffmpeg-on-cygwin-failed-to-compile-libx264-error-unknown-type-name-hmodule

And in that question the OP and another answer are trying to follow the very same guide while using Cygwin on the same 64-bit Windows 7.

What's the problem here and how can I solve it? The errors go away and the compilation works when I include --disable-avs, but I don't want the version of FFmpeg that I build to come without AVS/Avisynth support.

Thank you in advance.