[ANNOUNCEMENT] tcsh 6.21.00-1

Greywolf greywolf@starwolf.com
Tue Jun 18 02:27:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-06-17 09:11, Brian Inglis wrote:

> On 2019-06-17 07:13, Csaba Raduly wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 2:12 PM Jose Isaias Cabrera  wrote:
>>> Just wondering... Does anyone still uses tcsh?  That was my favorite shell
>>> before bash.
>> There are always pockets of resistance, hiding out in the mountains
>> (-: server rooms, etc :-)
>
> Some of us were lured to csh on SunOS by mentions of C-like features (still
> looking for those) and used tcsh on other systems, before coming to our senses
> when POSIX standardized based on Bourne/Korn shell features, and appreciating
> the kitchen sink inclusive implementation of interactive shell features provided
> by bash.

Some of us were lured to csh on BSD 4.2 because sh was primitive as all
get-out -- no functions, no aliases; the only thing it had going for it was
better signal trapping.  Where I was, a few students implemented 'dsh', a
follow-on to 'csh', which had ESC-based pathname, user, ~user, and envariable
expansion (ran in cbrk mode), and a few other things (and some really goofy
error messages).  I inherited it and immediately declared it dead upon the
arrival on scene by tcsh, which I then abandoned once I discovered bash, since
I wanted to have a CLI which resembled my primary prototyping language.

[ksh, on the other hand, is welcome to fall off the face of the earth at any
unannounced moment...]