Dragging from explorer to cygwin terminal is not putting the path into the terminal

Thu Jun 6 21:59:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-06-06 12:00, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
> Replying inline
> On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 10:51 AM Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2019-06-05 22:26, Academy OfFetishes wrote:
>> I tried to google for this but couldn't find anyone with the same problem.
>> I'm using mintty 3.0.1 and cygwin 3.0.7(0.338/5/3).
>> On my previous computer, if I dragged a file from my explorer to the
>> cygwin terminal, the cygwin terminal used to be populated with the full
>> path to that file.  Now when I do this, the cygwin terminal isn't
>> affected.
>> How do I get it to work the way it used to?  I want dragging from my
>> explorer to the terminal to expand the full path of the filename in my
>> terminal.

> Works fine for me.
> Start by examining your assumptions - run and post output from:
> $ cmd /c ver
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.503]
> $ uname -srvmo
> CYGWIN_NT-10.0 3.0.7(0.338/5/3) 2019-04-30 18:08 x86_64 Cygwin
> $ mintty --version
> mintty 3.0.1 (x86_64-pc-cygwin)
> © 2013/2019 Andy Koppe / Thomas Wolff
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

Good so far - all normal.

> Next check your Cygwin or mintty startup and post the mintty startup command
> here.
> Do you mean the .bash_profile?

No I mean the Windows bat, cmd command line, or lnk shortcut property command
that launches your mintty window.

> Then attach your ~/.minttyrc as text to your post: sometimes you make a tweak
> and forget, then much later, remember you messed yourself up. ;^>
> It looks like this:
> BoldAsFont=no
> FontHeight=20
> RightClickAction=paste
> Font=Courier New

Only issue I see is that this font should have 7mm high lines, so either you
have a huge screen with smallish windows in them, or you could be running with
some accessibility or scaling software that could interfere. What is your screen
setup like and are you using any such settings or software?

> Also check if you have an /etc/minttyrc which may change settings, and attach
> as text if present.
> I don't have that file on my computer.

Good - as expected.