Trying to create default ACL entries to match file ACL entries

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Tue Jun 4 19:44:00 GMT 2019

On 6/4/2019 3:34 PM, L A Walsh wrote:
> I am trying to create an entry for '/' (or '.' w/me sitting in '/')
> where the default entries are the same as the file entries.

Ooooo ... not sure _I'd_ mess what / on a Windows system!

> I noticed the example give in the manpage for copying entries:
>
> The special filename "-" indicates reading from stdin.
>         Note that you can use this with getfacl and setfacl to copy ACLs from
>         one file to another:
>
>             $ getfacl source_file | setfacl -f - target_file
>
> so tried doing:
>
>    getfacl . | setfacl -d - .

I have no problem doing:

mkdir temp
getfacl . | setfacl -f - temp
getfacl temp | setfacl -f .
getfacl / | setfacl -f .

I didn't want to try setting things on /, but
you might:

cd /
mkdir foo
getfacl foo | setfacl -f - .

But I am not sure what foo would have as its permission, i.e., whether
they are what you want.

Regards - EM