Cygwin/X does not seem to work on Windows 10
Tue Jun 4 11:52:00 GMT 2019
What I did:
- Installed all the packages, as described in https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup.html
- Started XLaunch
- Selected "Multiple Window" and "Start no client", to start the X Server
- Clicked on "Fertig stellen" (= finish).
- Using mintty, I started a cygwin shell (zsh).
- Inside this shell, I tried a
which, not surprisingly, resulted into:
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display:
xterm: DISPLAY is not set
and then a
DISPLAY=:0.0 xterm &
which also produced an error message:
xterm: Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0
Interestingly, there is an X-Icon in the notification area, and when I hover over it, the tooltip says "Cygwin/X Servre: 0.0", but when I right-click on this icon, no context menu appears.
When I do a double-LEFT-click on this icon, the icon disappears completely.
I then opened the Task Manager, but could not find any process where the name hinted that an X server would be running.
Problem reports: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
Unsubscribe info: http://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple
More information about the Cygwin