i686-w64-mingw32-gcc: LC_MESSAGES

Lee ler762@gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 00:51:00 GMT 2019

On 1/9/19, JonY  wrote:
> On 1/9/19 7:43 PM, Lee wrote:
>>> MSVCR = MicroSoft Visual C Run-time (I think)
>>

> Yes, as implemented by msvcrt.dll.

cool - makes much more sense now.  Thank you!

>> Meaning i686-w64-mingw32-gcc uses the Microsoft libraries vs. cygwin
>> gcc using posix compliant libraries?  Implying LC_MESSAGES not being
>> defined is yet another instance of Microsoft not following accepted
>> standards?
>>

> Cygwin has its own runtime, Windows has its own. Microsoft does whatever
> it well pleases, it never did claim POSIX or ISO C compliance.
>
> See the printf/scanf hacks in mingw.
>
>> The background for my question is
>> https://github.com/htacg/tidy-html5/issues/770
>> Tidy removed the setlocale call from the library init function, so if
>> users want a specific locale/language they're going to have to set it
>> up themselves.
>> I'd like to update the tidylib example code showing how to set the
>> language, but
>>   setlocale(LC_ALL, "");
>>   tidySetLanguage( setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, NULL) );
>> probably isn't a good example if LC_MESSAGES is missing on some systems.
>>

> Unfortunately, I don't know how that should be implemented on top of a
> proprietary runtime layer, or any alternative function calls for that
> matter.

Me either, which is why I was trying to keep it limited to system
calls.  But tidySetLanguage( setlocale(LC_ALL, NULL) ); isn't a good
idea because setlocale returns a string starting with the value of
LC_COLLATE & I suspect there's plenty enough others that prefer ascii
sort order to dictionary sort order or whatever it's called.

^shrug^ since it is just example code, if LC_MESSAGES isn't defined
maybe just tell them to pick a default & use that...

Thanks
Lee