Cygwin 3.0.1-1 Breaks ALL cygwin applications on Windows 7 x64

Jerry Baker via cygwin cygwin@cygwin.com
Tue Feb 26 22:19:00 GMT 2019

On 2/26/2019 1:56 PM, Doug Henderson wrote:
> Two things.
> 1. You can execute cygcheck by navigating to C:\cygwin or C:\cygwin64
> in Explorer and opening a command or powershell window from explorer's
> shift-context menu. There, run the following command:
>
> .\cygcheck.exe -csr > ..\home\CYGWINUSERNAME\cygcheck.out
>
> or similar.If this does not work, I would look for a anti-virus or
> firewall that is interfering.
>
> 2. I don't recall you mentioning how you start cygwin. Please try both
> standard methods: a) execute c:\cygwin64\Cygwin.bat and b) executing
> the Cygwin icon that (by default) cygwin setup places on the desktop.
>
> 3. As an after thought, I always run cygwin with CYGWIN_NOWINPATH=1
> set in my system environment variables. (From what I understand, I am
> one of the few people that do this!) This resets the PATH variable in
> the cygwin shell to only contain cygwin directories. If this resolves
> the problem, you can edit your .bashrc to add any needed windows path.
> For instance, I add the path to some go lang executables. And I set up
> aliases or functions to run a few specific Windows exes, such as
> Explorer, icacls, cmd, etc. If you want all the directories from your
> windows path, they are available in the ORIGINAL_PATH variable, so you
> can add all of them at the end of the PATH variable, so they do not
> shadow same-named cygwin exes.

Thanks for the tips. I made a completely fresh install in a new
directory and attempted all three suggestions. Here are the results:

1. That command gets part way through and then hangs with the blinking
cursor after listing the directories in the path variable.

2. bat file or desktop shortcut hangs with a black window and blinking
cursor.

3. Set variable and run Cygwin.bat. Black window with blinking cursor.

Literally every single way you can call a cygwin executable just hangs
with a blinking cursor.