cygwin 3.0.1-1 breaks my sshd install

Houder houder@xs4all.nl
Thu Feb 21 16:01:00 GMT 2019

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 11:09:11, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:

> I managed it today already but I'm somewhat stumped.
>
> I ran ssh-host-config and let the script install a new local account
> "test_server" to use for the sshd service.  I started the service and
> tried to login with a local account and it just worked out of the box.

This is my case: using local accounts only.

Reminder: sshd did work w/ 2.11.2 ...
(and it works now in 3.0.1 after replacing cyg_server w/ SYSTEM (*) )

Way back I started using cyg_server because "csih" forced me to create
this privileged account (W7!).

I studied "csih" (cygwin-service-installation-helper.sh) again ...

64-@@# editrights -u cyg_server -l
SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege
SeCreateTokenPrivilege
SeServiceLogonRight
SeDenyInteractiveLogonRight
SeDenyRemoteInteractiveLogonRight

Compared to "csih", the SeTcbPrivilege privilege was missing. I am not
in the habit of messing with privileges ...

Consequently, like you, I am stumped too :-)

(*) after "moving" the sshd service from cyg_server to SYSTEM, I also
changed the ownership of /var/empty and /etc/ssh* (to SYSTEM) ...

Next, I disabled the cyg_server and sshd accounts. ssh still works.

Henri