textmode for stdout, what is "correct" now?

Michael Haubenwallner michael.haubenwallner@ssi-schaefer.com
Fri Feb 15 18:25:00 GMT 2019

> On Feb 15 13:03, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
>>>
>>> This one is not so nice.  Somebody should tell upstream we only
>>> want explicit O_BINARY these days, but no explicit O_TEXT.

To me it sounds strange to use the one but not the other:

If we don't want O_TEXT at all, isn't O_BINARY obsolete as well,
so the advise should be to use neither - just like real *nix?

A consequence then might be to deprecate (or even remove) them
from the public API header files.

>> Is this correct even for situations where the cygwin1.dll is used
>> outside the Cygwin distribution, like git-bash, MSYS or similar,
>
> This is OpenSSL, not the Cygwin DLL.

Actually I meant executables linked against the Cygwin DLL being
executed by non-Cygwin (native Win32) programs.

>> where cygwin-based executables eventually are used from within some
>> CMD or PowerShell script? Or should they use unix2dos/dos2unix then?
>
> Only if the \r is really required.  Typically it isn't.

Ok then.

>> OTOH, would it make sense to ignore the O_TEXT flag in cygwin1.dll?
>
> That's an interesting idea.  The O_TEXT flag is already ignored in a lot
> of cases, e.g. for pipes.  Only when opening files does it have an
> effect, mostly.  I'm not sure we should really switch it off.  Maybe we
> can consider a CYGWIN env var setting at one point.

I've thought of the CYGWIN env var too whether to ignore O_TEXT, but the
more I think of it, the more I can think of multiple troubles as well...

>>> Telling upstream not to use O_TEXT on Cygwin in the first place, I think.
>>
>> I can do that, but if I were an upstream developer I would ask questions
>> like above...
>
> I sent a patch upstream and questions got asked.  But this is not
> a native openssl lib, this is *Cygwin's* openssl lib, and it should
> behave like a Cygwin lib.

Agreed.

Thanks!
/haubi/