Posting Order

Sun Feb 10 06:13:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-02-09 17:36, L A Walsh wrote:
> On 2/9/2019 10:26 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:On 2019-02-09 17:36, L A Walsh wrote:> On 2/9/2019 10:26 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
>> On 2019-02-09 07:46, L A Walsh wrote:
>>> That's why it is very surprising to see computer people treat
>>> 'email' as a "log" instead of like a chat w/history...
>> Logs can be displayed most recent first, -
> usually not without a special reader.  Especially not when they are
> on paper.

If commands don't support reversing content, can use tac, sort reverse date,
perhaps using sed or awk commands to rejoin lines: paper is easiest - you just
read from the end.

> Even email - if printed out...if they only top posted, only would need to
> print first page or so of text, but otherwise, need to print 50+pages (like
> the support incident from hell)...

Dump into editor to do your own trimming or summarizing and saving as notes.
Practice not handling or dirtying processed trees.

>> I expect bottom posting and trimming for subscriber or volunteer groups like
>> this, to respect the time and effort of those doing the work, and reduce the
>> bandwidth distributed across the internet (or U
> But if they don't trim, you have to download all the old stuff before you can
> read the new stuff.
> Say you are reading over a 1200 baud serial line and have to page through 50K
> of previous text...

I saw the sense of trimming netiquette when I had to do that, in the days of
offline mail and news readers, when you connected, uploaded your new content,
downloaded others new content, then disconnected, or some protocols did so on
your behalf, possibly overnight.

> If they don't trim, top posting would be more efficient for your line usage.
Some email clients can take advantage of that by trashing previous messages if
they match the dequoted suffix (sometimes also prefix) of new messages.