Getting error message when launching X-Window apps in Cygwin

akshay chavan via cygwin cygwin@cygwin.com
Sat Feb 9 06:27:00 GMT 2019

 Hi,
I think I found out why I faced this problem. When downloading Cygwin, I had chosen "download without installing". This installed only the base package. Later, I followed the instructions at http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup.html#setup-cygwin-x-installing to install X server. I think this double installation created some problem.
I just deleted cygwin and reinstalled it. This time I chose, the "Install from internet" option. Surprisingly this time, it showed xorg-server in the "select packages" dialog (the previous time, it did not). So, I just followed the instructions exactly as given in http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/setup.html#setup-cygwin-x-installing and also installed nedit from the packages.

After running "xinit nedit" from the Cygwin terminal, it runs fine!.
Thanks,Akshay