bash /cmd disagree about owner and permissions to executable

Lee ler762@gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 04:51:00 GMT 2019

On 12/26/19, Enrique Perez-Terron   wrote:
> I prefer to have a single installation of python, rather than having to
> remember to install packages for various pythons.
> I choose the standard windows 64-bit install of python 3.8
> But today when I tried to run a script ...
>
>> Heidi@panter ~
>> $ python3 x.py
>> -bash:
>> /cygdrive/c/Users/Heidi/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps/python3:
>> Permission denied
>
> Surprise!
>
> Investigating...
>
>> Heidi@panter ~
>> $ ls -ld "$(type -p python3)"
>> -rwxr-x--- 1 Unknown+User Unknown+Group 0 des 26 19:25
>> /cygdrive/c/Users/Heidi/AppData/Local/Microsoft/WindowsApps/python3*
>>
>> Heidi@panter ~
>> $ cmd /C "icacls $(cygpath -w "$(type -p python3)")"
>> C:\Users\Heidi\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\python3.exe
>> NT-MYNDIGHET\SYSTEM:(I)(F)
>>
>> BUILTIN\Administratorer:(I)(F)
>>
>> PANTER\Heidi:(I)(F)
>>
>> S-1-19-512-4096:(RX,D,WDAC,WO,WA)
>>
>> Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files
>>
>> Heidi@panter ~
>> $ cmd /C "dir /q $(cygpath -w "$(type -p python3)")"
>>  Volume in drive C is Acer
>>  Volume Serial Number is 3A2C-1A76
>>
>>  Directory of C:\Users\Heidi\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps
>>
>> 26.12.2019  19.25                 0 PANTER\Heidi           python3.exe
>>                1 File(s)              0 bytes
>>                0 Dir(s)  155▒760▒214▒016 bytes free
>

> Hey, what is this? Windows reports that the owner of the binary is
> PANTER\Heidi, but /bin/ls reports Unknown+User?
>
> I rebboted, unistalled python and installed the app store version of
> python instead, but nothing changed.
>
> Any suggestions?

Take a look at
  https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table
and try changing /etc/fstab
# This is the default:
# none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user 0 0
none /cygdrive cygdrive binary,posix=0,user,noacl,exec 0 0

altho with cygwin saying 'Unknown+User Unknown+Group'  I don't know if
that will be enough :(

Somebody else will have to help you with
>  Windows reports that the owner of the binary is
> PANTER\Heidi, but /bin/ls reports Unknown+User?

Regards,
Lee