Files created with CYGWIN have "NULL SID:(DENY)" windows ACL, inter alia

Peter Binney peter.binney@gmail.com
Sat Dec 21 21:58:00 GMT 2019

Creating a file using "> newfile", "icacls newfile" shows various DENY settings:

newfile NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,WEA,X,DC)
        JCPR-DELL-3\peter:(R,W,D,WDAC,WO)
        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(DENY)(S,X)
        BUILTIN\Administrators:(DENY)(S,X)
        BUILTIN\Users:(DENY)(S,X)
        JCPR-DELL-3\None:(R)
        NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(RX,W)
        BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX,W)
        BUILTIN\Users:(RX,W)
        Everyone:(R)

Whereas on a file created from Windows Explorer I see:
New Text Document.txt BUILTIN\Users:(I)(M)
                      Everyone:(I)(RX)
                      JCPR-DELL-3\peter:(I)(F)
                      BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
                      NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(F)

"mkpasswd" and "mkgroup" both show I (user "peter") have expected
entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/group (I attach both)

Running "whoami" commands from powershell shows:

PS E:\temp> whoami /groups

GROUP INFORMATION
-----------------
Group Name                                                    Type
        SID          Attributes
================ ============
Everyone
Well-known group S-1-1-0      Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\Local account and member of Administrators group
Well-known group S-1-5-114    Group used for deny only
BUILTIN\Administrators                                        Alias
        S-1-5-32-544 Group used for deny only
BUILTIN\Performance Log Users                                 Alias
        S-1-5-32-559 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled
group
BUILTIN\Users                                                 Alias
        S-1-5-32-545 Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled
group
NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE
Well-known group S-1-5-4      Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
CONSOLE LOGON
Well-known group S-1-2-1      Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users
Well-known group S-1-5-11     Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\This Organization
Well-known group S-1-5-15     Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\Local account
Well-known group S-1-5-113    Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
LOCAL
Well-known group S-1-2-0      Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
NT AUTHORITY\NTLM Authentication
Well-known group S-1-5-64-10  Mandatory group, Enabled by default,
Enabled group
Mandatory Label\Medium Mandatory Level                        Label
        S-1-16-8192
PS E:\temp> whoami
jcpr-dell-3\peter
PS E:\temp> whoami /user

USER INFORMATION
User Name         SID
jcpr-dell-3\peter S-1-5-21-1468824806-2062748802-729869357-100

I also attach cygcheck.out