A permissions puzzle

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Dec 21 03:08:00 GMT 2019

Dear cygwiners --

For a long time I _had_ things working, but somehow in switching over to using
cygwin64 as primary, I messed up permissions on the directories where a backup
program (EaseUS) puts things.  I made the permissions similar to elsewhere in
by cygwin hierarchy, but I still cannot chown, chgrp, or chmod files created
by the backup tool - but doing so used to work!

Here is icacls on one of the files:

icacls System_20191220_Inc_v1.pbd
System_20191220_Inc_v1.pbd NULL SID:(I)(DENY)(Rc,S,WD,REA,WEA,X,DC)
                            BUILTIN\Administrators:(I)(F)
                            EM-SURFACE-2018\Cygwin:(I)(RX,W,DC)
                            NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(I)(RX)
                            Everyone:(I)(RX)

Note that I am an administrator and in in Cygwin (at least "groups" shows
Cygwin).

Here is icacls on the containing directory, which has been "cygwin-ized":

icacls .
. NULL SID:(DENY)(Rc,S,WD,REA,WEA,X,DC)
   EM-SURFACE-2018\moss:(F)
   EM-SURFACE-2018\Cygwin:(RX,W,DC)
   BUILTIN\Administrators:(RX,W,DC)
   Everyone:(RX)
   NULL SID:(OI)(CI)(IO)(DENY)(Rc,S,WD,REA,WEA,X,DC)
   CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
   EM-SURFACE-2018\Cygwin:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX,W,DC)
   NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
   BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX,W,DC)
   Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

And getfacl on the same:

# file: .
# owner: moss
# group: Cygwin
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:Administrators:rwx
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:SYSTEM:r-x
default:group:Administrators:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::r-x

So ... why can't I chown, etc., the pbd file, and what needs to change for me
to be able to do so?  (I _do_ mostly understand this stuff, but maybe I'm
just too tired and just can;t see the obvious!)

Regards - Eliot