MC no longer working with cygwin 3.1.x

Thu Dec 19 11:26:00 GMT 2019

On Dec 18 23:09, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 12/18/2019 5:55 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:

> >> I've just looked at the mc source code, and it seems that (under tcsh only), mc
> >> creates a fifo and tries to open it twice as O_RDWR.  This is not supported on
> >> Cygwin, so the second attempt fails.
> >>
> >> Here's the relevant code from src/subshell/common.c:
> >> [...]
> >> Under bash, zsh, and some other shells, mc uses ordinary pipes rather than
> >> FIFOs.  I have no idea why tcsh is treated differently.
> >>
> >> Until someone[*] gets around to making it possible to open a FIFO twice for
> >> reading, I don't think there's anything we can do about it.  I also don't know
> >> how important this is for mc.  I don't use tcsh or mc, so I can't judge.

Not using mc either here.  I see the STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED in the strace
output when calling NtCreateNamedPipeFile, but I wonder why that is.

Ken, btw., we should add a PIPE_REJECT_REMOTE_CLIENTS flag, just for
paranoia.

> > I've reproduced mc to fail, from bash, in cygwin 3.1.0 and 3.1.1, Windows 1809
> > and 1903.
>
> That's not related to what I've been talking about, which is the error
> message "Cannot open named pipe /tmp/mc-corinna/mc.pipe.384" that
> Corinna reported.  The failure you're talking about occurs in all
> shells and has already been fixed by Takashi.  I imagine Corinna will
> release 3.1.2 with the fix very soon.

Yes, today or tomorrow.  Maybe some other low-hanging fruit roles past...

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer